Haven’t tried flaxseed yet, where have you been!? I recommend all my clients to add up to 2 T of ground flaxseed and/or chia seeds into their daily diets.
Although flaxseed contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its healthy reputation primarily to three ingredients (from webmd.com):
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids, “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
- Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75-800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- Fiber, Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble type
My clients are always asking, “where do I use ground flaxseed?” Here are some helpful ideas for you:
- mix into your yogurt
- mix into your oatmeal
- add to any cereal
- add to any soup after cooking
- add to applesuace…tell the kids it’s cinnamon 😉
- add to beans or chili after cooking
- sprinkle onto a PB&J sandwhich
- my mom adds it to pancake batter
- mix into mashed potatoes after cooking
- add to spaghetti sauce
- mix into smoothies
Do you have any creative ideas to using flaxseed? I would love to hear from you in the comments!
Until next time…
look good, feel good, do good