Short on time when you come home from worK? Prepare the cut veggies the night before, throw it all in a crock pot the next morning and set to low and viola…dinner is ready when you come home (and it smells great too.)
Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Stew
from the kitchen of fellow crossfitter, Katie and Clean eating Magazine
- 32 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp thyme (1 T of fresh herbs equals 1 tsp of dried is you only have dried on hand)
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
- 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed (best to choose organic)
- 10 oz carrots (3 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 tbsp low-fat sour cream (optional) or J choose skim cottage cheese for his topping
- I added a few dashes of Cholula
- I also added some sliced of avocado for a healthy fat
- Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
- Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp sour cream, if desired.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving without sour cream: Calories: 230, Total Fat: 2.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 30 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 21 g, Sodium: 240 mg, Cholesterol: 40 mg
Any other time savor secrets out there?! I would love to hear from you and create a post for all those busy families!
Contact me today for your personalized nutrition plan…tackle your health before the holidays!
Until next time…
look good, feel good, do good