I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe as it certainly isn’t the best for you. However, after sharing the cake with others I received several requests for the recipe. So with a few modifications this recipes has a least been a little “healthified.” Otherwise, it’s just plain good and deserves to be enjoyed in moderation.
Makeover Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
from healthy cooking and www.tasteofhome.com
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, egg, oil and applesauce on low speed until combined. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a another large bowl, beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Add the butter, eggs, egg whites and vanilla; beat on low until combined. Add the confectioners’ sugar; mix well. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 24 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 piece equals 228 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Until next time…
Look good, feel good, do good
That’s right…a cake made in a mug. Crazy right?! That’s what I thought when I saw my pal Abby post the recipe on her blog: La Vida de Frida. I knew I had to try.
This is a PERFECT way to portion out a treat and not have the temptation to go back for seconds .
Chocolate Cake in a Mug, recipe slightly adapted from AJ’s Cooking Secrets (post from La Vida de Frida)
I was drawn to this recipe for chocolate cake in a mug because it had a fraction of the sugar (some recipes used as much as 1/4 cup for one serving!) and fat compared to other recipes. It also contains no eggs, so no worries about eating undercooked eggs! I have made a few changes to the original recipe to make it a bit more wholesome. Like any dessert, I want it to be as wholesome as I can make it, without sacrificing flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour ….I used white whole wheat flour as that is what I had on hand
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark chocolate chips (about 15)
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon canola or other light oil
- Very small splash of vanilla extract
- In a microwave-safe coffee mug, thoroughly mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sugar, and chocolate chips
- Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla extract until combined with the dry ingredients (make sure to scrape the bottom, as the dry ingredients like to “hang out” there).
- Microwave batter for 40-60 seconds, depending on microwave power and desired cake texture. (I microwave my cake for 40 seconds, and the result is similar to a molten chocolate lava cake.)
- Enjoy plain, or with a dusting of powdered sugar, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a cold glass of milk!
Here’s a close up of the ooey-gooey goodness.
In this convenience world we live in…anyone else have healhty-convenient recipes to share?
Until next time…
look good, feel good, do good